Rahu Mahadasha (18 years) in Vedic Astrology
After the Shukra Mahadasha (20 years) and Sani Mahadasha (19 years), the Rahu Mahadasha is eighteen years long in Vimshottari dasa system in Vedic Astrology. Rahu or the North Node of the Moon, the chaya graha-shadowy planets, rules three Nakshatras Aridra, Swati and Satabhisha and when Moon is any of these nakshatra at birth, Rahu is the starting Mahadasa.
Rahu Mahadasha can be very harmful to many depending on its location and the aspects that natal rahu receives. Rahu Dasa always brings absence of domestic harmony, there may be splits and separations in the family. It is not uncommon that the native and his father; the native and his wife (or husband), or the native and his brothers may have internal conflicts and no peace amongst themselves.
Rahu Mahadasha effects are highlighted below;
- The peaceful atmosphere of the family will be suddenly disturbed.
- Non-cooperation, quarrels and independent postures among the members will be the starting point.
- A person passing through Rahu period becomes bold in his thoughts and actions; stoops to unconventional degrading actions and commits sins secretly and thereby incurring the displeasure and annoyance of other members in the family.
- Members come to loggerheads usually, bringing disgrace to the family.
- The reputation of the family will decline. The native develops heterodox tendencies and inclinations.
- Frequent thefts in the family and loss of property.
- Loss of cattle and other domestic animals like cows, buffaloes, bulls, horses, dogs, pet birds, poultry by diseases, or theft.
- Loss of crops through natural calamities, fire, thefts, rodents, etc. The expected income will shrink.
- Servants, maid-servants, cooks, or drivers of vehicles will indulge in thefts.
- Delivery of domestic animals like cows, buffaloes or dogs usually occur during this period.
- The dwelling house begins to show signs of wear and tear sooner than normal. There may be accidents of fire, electric shocks, short circuits, burning of electric bulbs, etc. The wiring system may demand repairs. It these are not attended to immediately dangers and losses will multiply.
- The house becomes a favorite resort for bandicoots, rats, mosquitoes, bugs, cockroaches, lizards, ants, spiders, and other pests. Even those residing in new buildings cannot escape these pests during Rahu MahaDasha.
- Frequent visits by relations on some pretext or the other will be a common feature. This will be a source of nuisance to the family, especially as mutual co-operation among the members of the family is lost.
- Interference of the relatives or other in the internal affairs of the family will be common. Well-wishers may turn into enemies.
- The Dasa of Rahu may be marked by bereavements. Father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, sisters, brothers, sisters-in-law, brothers-in-law, aunts or uncles and their family circles will be the source of such sorrowful news. Sickness, deaths and other untoward incidents will be the order of Rahu Dasa.
- Change of residence or town for some reason or the other will be forced on the family. Families going on pilgrimages should be careful about their children and belongings. The children are likely to be lost. While taking baths in rivers or tanks, danger of drowning to native or dependents is likely.
- Vehicles like cars, motor cycles, cycles and other means of conveyances and everything that contribute to happiness and the comforts of the family are apt to go out of order. They may necessitate constant repairs or get stolen. Expenditure will go up, while the comforts go down.
What happens when women are running the Rahu Mahadasha:
- Women running Rahu Mahadasa develop masculine traits. They become bold and shrewd. They create a hell of nuisance and problems for their husbands who feel that they are very unfortunate to have married such unworthy women. Such women seldom make good and faithful housewives.
- They are more fit for service as nurses or school mistresses or cooks who will enjoy freedom of movement without check.
- Quarrels in the family will be a regular and recurring feature due to their arrogant attitude. In the case of women, the wife also suffers hell on account of a non-co-operative and arrogant husband. The husband generally turns a gambler or a drunkard. The family suffers ruin.
- In extreme cases, one will stoop to committing incest also with near and dear relatives secretly. Even relations as close as sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles,- sisters-in-law, brothers-in-law, daughters-in-law, or sons-in- law are not spared. This extreme tendency is noticed if Rahu is associated with the Moon, Venus and Mars in the 9th or the 3rd in a nativity.
- In service, there may be unwelcome changes. One may incur the displeasure of wrath of superiors and be subjected to penal torture and humiliations.
- Rahu is unconventional, encourages widow marriages. He is a social reformer. Intercaste marriages come under the purview of Rahu, who is antireligious. Rahu does not straight away confer benefits on a native without grabbing some of the valuable, genuine and legitimate possessions of a family.
- A family will be deprived of many of its benefits before actual enjoying new benefits. Acquisition of power, authority and fortune come about accompanied by upheavals.
- Rahu in the signs owned by Venus gives more than two marriages (legal or illegal). Practical observations reveal that Rahu in the 2nd house particularly in the signs owned by Mars gives a long term of loneliness after the death of the spouse. Irrespective of the house tenanted by Rahu, the above mentioned results will manifest themselves during its tenure.