Saturn, which according to Hindu mythology is the son of Sun God, is an excellent planet. No other planet can give what Saturn can.
- In fact having a well placed Saturn in ones chart is one of the best things to hope for!
- When Mrs. Indira Gandhi was re-elected as the PM, she was going through the Mahadasha of Saturn.
- When Amitabh Bachachan was at his peak, he was also going through Saturn Mahadasha.
- Unfortunately people and the pundits ignore the positive side of Saturn and project it only as an evil planet.
- It is said- Be careful what you wish for during the Dasha and Antardasha of Shani/Saturn, it might just come true!
Following things are associated with Shani (Saturn).
- Direction: West
- Gemstone: Blue Sapphire (Neelam). Also Read here.
- Metal: Lead
- Ruling Day: Saturday
- Flower: Vanni, Kuvalai
- Color: Black
- Associated No. : 7 (Seven)
- Grain: Black Urad Daal
- Food: Rice Mixed With Black Urad Daal
- Jobs associated with the Planet: Analysts, Researchers, IT professionals, HR professionals, Real Estate Owners and Developers, Astrologers, Psychics, Supernatural or Spiritual healers.
- Dhyan Mantra: Nilanjana Samabhasam Ravi Putram Yamagrajam Chaya Martanda Sambhutam Tam Namami Shanai Shwaram.
- Shani Gayatri Mantra: Aum Sanaischaraya Vidmahe, Sooryaputraya Dheemahi, Tanno Manda Prachodayat.
Read More about Shani Dev here:
- Saturn/Shani Transits and its effects on different houses of astrology- an essay
- Shani temples in India: Shrines for Planet Saturn in India
- Sani/Shani Panoti: Sade Sati/Sade Sati: 7.5 years of Saturn transit
- Remedies and Upays for Sade Sati, Ashtama Shani, Shani dhaiyya, Kantaka Shani, Shani Mahadasha
Physical Attributes of Planet Saturn:
In Vedic astrology, the planet Saturn is called Shanaishwara or Saneeswaran. Saturn is regarded as an emaciated God with long physique, big teeth and tawny eyes. Shani is indolent and lame. The temperament or nature of Shani is airy. Saturn is considered to be a malefic graha. It is believed that Shani can make a person, a king or a beggar according to the native’s deeds (karmas).
Position of Shani- Saturn
Shani is most powerful in the 7th house. Saturn rules over the two sidereal signs of Capricorn and Aquarius. Shani exalts in Libra and falls in the sign of Aries. Saturn is particularly a beneficial planet for Taurus and Libra Ascendants. Saturn is the slowest moving planet as it takes 30 months or 2.6 years in each Rashi and completes one cycle in 30 years.
Effects of the Transits: Transit of Shani can cause problems from Govt, peers, wife, children, slowdown in business, loss of property and leprosy etc.
Significance of Shani
Shani (Saturn) is an indicator of positive and negative aspects:
- The Positive are : Longevity, discipline, ambition, leadership, authority, humility, integrity, wisdom, spirituality, fame, patience, ability to lead, authority, long life, organizational abilities, sincerity, honesty, love of justice, awareness of right and wrong (because it rules the inner conscience), non attachment, and asceticism,wisdom born of experience.
- The Negative are: Misery, sorrow, old age and death, restriction, delays, addicted to drugs, sadistic, greedy, lonely, accidents, humiliation, prison, lawsuits, suicidal tendencies, fear of theft, thefts, blame, enmity, pessimism, and premature ageing.
Saturn is regarded as a planet of darkness which rules over the dark side of human nature, such as the conscience the awareness of right and wrong). Saturn is regarded to be both a giver as well as destroyer. A person who sincerely prays to Lord Shani is blessed not only with removal of the problems and worries, but a life that one desires.
If any period in a mans natal chart is feared and dreaded, it is the 7-1/2 years of Saturn transit called “Sadesati” in North India and “Elinatishani” in South India.
Other malefic positions are Ashtama shani, Kantaka Shani and Ardha Ashtama Shani.
Remedies: Some sure-shot remedies to reduce the malefic influences of the Sade-Sati are daily reciting of Hanuman Chalisa or the Dasaratha Krit Shani stotra.
You will also be interested in reading:
Remedies for Sade-Sati: Appease Planet Saturn | Information on Planet Saturn: Some Lesser Known Facts | Sade Sati in 2011 | Sade Sati: 7 1/2 years transit of planet Saturn: Shani | Ashtama Shani | Shani Mahadasha: 19 years period | Detailed Effects of SadeSati |