Donations give to appease the Navagrahas- Nine Planets
- Donation to appease the Planet Sun (On Sunday): Ruby, coral, wheat, jaggery, ghee, red cloth, sandalwood, saffron flowers.
- Donation to appease the planets moon (On Monday): White cloth, rice, curd, sandalwood, camphor, flowers, conch.
- Donation to appease the planet Mars (On Tuesday): Gold, copper, lentil, jaggery, ghee, red cloth, saffron, sandal wood.
- Donation to appease the planet mercury (On Wednesday): Emerald, gold, green cloth, lentil, sugar, ghee, flowers, fruits, camphor, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease the planet Jupiter – (On Thursday): Topaz, Gold, Yellow cloth, Chana (grams), Turmeric, Jaggery, Ghee, flowers, fruits books, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease the planets Venus (On Friday): Diamond, Gold, Silver, cloth, rice, Sugar candy, milk, curd, sandalwood, flowers
- Donation to appease to planet Saturn (on Saturday): Sapphire, gold, black cloth, oil, horse bean, music, flowers, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease the Planet Rahu: Agate, gold, lead, blue cloth, blanket, Sesamum, mustard oil, flowers, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease planet Ketu: Gold, bluish grey cloth, seven types of cereals, oil coconut, knife, Dakshina.
- Listen to the Navagraha Stuti here…
- Translation and Meaning of Navagraha Mantra/Stotra for 9 Planets
Ten other types of Charity or Mahadaan
1. Godaan (Donating Cow) – Direct or indirectly
2. Donating Land – According to one’s ability
3. Donating Gold – According to one’s ability or 34 Grams
4. Donating Silver – According to one’s ability or 2 Kilos.
5. Donating clothes – Cloth measuring 8 yards.
6. Donating grain/cereals – According to one’s ability or 100 Kilo.
7. Donating Ghee – According to one’s ability or 20 Kilos
8. Donating Jaggery – According to one’s ability or 13 Kilos
9. Donating Sesame – According to one’s ability or 18 Kg.
10. Donating Salt – According to one’s ability or 135 Kg.
The Day and time to donate:
Donations to the Gods should be offered in the early morning. To eliminate doshas, ailments in human donations should be offered in the afternoon. For deceased ancestor donations should be offered in the night or evening. Donations to the spirits should be done in the evening.
One should donate on the following Tithis (dates)
1. Shukla Poornima in Jyestha, Vaishakh month
2. Dasham or Poornima day in Aashad month
3. Krishna Ashtami in Shravana month
4. Tritiya of Krishna Paksha in month of Bhadrapada
5. Kartik Shukla Dwadeshi and Poornima
6. Paush Shukla Ekadashi
7. Mayh Shukla Tritiya and Saptami
8. Phalguna Amavasya in Poornima
9. Chaitra Krishna Panchami
10. Chaitra Shukla Panchami
11. Vaishakh Shukla Tritiya
12. Kartik Shukla Saptami
13. Margshish Shukla Navami
14. Magh Shukla Trayodashi
15. Phalgun Krishna Tritiya.
One should donate during solar and lunar eclipse. If there is incidentally a solar eclipse on a Sunday and lunar eclipse on a Monday it creates a Chudamani Yoga. The donation done on these days reaps limitless benefits. One gets special benefits if one donates on days of Amavasya, Poornima, Sankranti, Vyatipat, Vaidhriti Yoga.
- Donation done on the Poornima of the Vaishakh, Shravana, Kartik and Magh are considered auspicious and very noble.
- The tithi of Somvati Amavasya is very rare, auspicious tithi even for the Gods.
- On the day of Nirjala Ekadashi one should donate anything other then food.
- On the day of Ramnavami and Janmashtami and the day after Janmashtami one should donate during time of ‘Mand Utsav’.
- By donating on the day of Akshaya Tritiye one gets limitless benefits, on the days of Amavasya on Monday. Saptami of Sunday, Chaturthi on Tuesday and the Ashtami on Wednesday are equally auspicious as a solar eclipse for donation/charity.
- One should donate on both the Trayodashi days of Shravana month and also in the Bhadrapada Krishna Paksha, on Kartik Shukla Navami, Ekadashi, Makar Sanskranti and in Adhik maas.