A large number of leaves and flowers of varied kinds are offered to the Lord Ganesha, during the 10 day festival, which begins on the 1st September 2011. The importance of these leaves and flowers however is rarely known to the people.
The offerings have been mentioned in the our religious books. As the scientific knowledge on such offerings were known to a very few people and was not in the written form, it has only been assumed blindly as tradition by the people and today generation.
A peep into the ancient literature on religion and medicine would reveal importance of these leaves and flowers. The month of “Ganesh Utsav ” celebrations, that is “Bhadrapad” is basically a month for collection of various plants of medicinal use. they are available in plenty during this period. People in our country used to collect these medicinal plants and first offer them to Lord Ganesha and then make their medicinal use throughout the year. As the Ganesh Utsav celebration begin with collection of medicinal plants that cure various diseases, the Lord of Wisdom is also called as “Vignaharta“. Unfortunately the offerings are thrown away after the pooja. People worship Lord Ganesha for prosperity and success without any difficulty or hurdle in any kind of health problem.
During Ganesh Pooja, each one procures leaves and flowers of 21 different plants for Pooja which are called as “Ekavinshati Patra Pooja“. All these leaves prescribed for offering to the God have medicinal values. thus, knowledge of hte prophylactic and therapeutic properties of these leaves was known to the people who penned the procedure for performing the pooja. The younger generation is expected to be trained to identify the plants and the methods of collecting them. Our ancestors had an unerring knowledge of plants and their medicinal values.
The importance and significance of the leaves used in performing the pooja. 21 types of leaves are offered to Lord Ganesha during the festival, and each leaf has an Ayurvedic significance.
- Durva:Used a as blood purifier, keeps invisible microbes away, removes acidity, cures many skin disorders, Psoriasis, useful to remove the troubles of the eyes due to continuous stress like computer waves.
- Maka: Prevents decaying process, it is a good medicine for eye diseases, jaundice, eczema, oedema, obesity and also reduces the size of the tumor.
- Aghada: Best medicine for cough, asthama, helps in smooth passage of urine and relieves pain.
- Dorli: Useful in asthama and cough
- Tulsi: Helps avoid bacterial infection, such as cough, in fever due to cold and cough, improves digestion, improves immunity, used in skin diseases like Psoriasis, ring worm which gives rise to itching, acts as a germicide.
- Marva: Cures skin diseases.
- Jai: Cures mouth pustules, very useful in healing of wounds.
- Malti: is used for curing skin diseases like leprosy and leucoderma, nervous diseases and abdominal related diseases.
- Dhotra: Cures or reduces cough in the chest, reduces asthmatic attack, useful in rheumatic pain.
- Vishnu Kranta: Vishnu Kranta patra is used for nervous related diseases and memory power
- Kewda: Used to prevent excessive bleeding during menses.
- Kanher: Used in snake, scorpion bites and for curing of various types of fever.
- Bor: Heat reliever, useful for relief from rheumatic diseases, soothing from burning heat due to fever and also bring down the temperature, gives relief from watering of eyes and shooting pain in eyes.
- Dalimb: is used for dysentery. Gives relief from bilious burning, semen enchancer, useful for dry cough, gives relief from bleeding from nose, used in conjunctivitis , a bilious reliever.
- Shami: Prevents excessive discharge of urine, reduces body heat.
- Bael or Bilva, which purifies water, is used for dysentery. Prevent loose motion, clearing of bowel, relieve griping pain, reduce the frequency of evacuation of feces, improves function of the liver, a germicidal, removes bad odor from the body, increases the stamina and reduces excess heat from the body.
- Hadga: cold medicine.
- Arjun: Supreme Medicine of heart disease. useful for setting of bones, useful for reducing the excess ft from the body.
- Pipal: Improves articulation of small kids, improves heavy tongue and improves mental capabilities of slow learning children, used in many medicinal preparations.
- Ashok: Keeps womb healthy, can remove sorrowful stat of mind in post natl condition.
- Bramhi: It is a brain tonic, for sound sleep and relieves stress.
- Jaswand: It gives mental peace, relief from headache due to biliousness.